Hardwood Flooring Maintenance Hacks Every Homeowner Should Know
Hardwood floors are a timeless and elegant choice for any home. To ensure they retain their beauty and durability over the years, proper maintenance is key. In this blog post, we'll share some essential hardwood flooring maintenance hacks that every homeowner should know. If you're looking for professional hardwood floor services to keep your floors in top condition, contact Benjamin Floors at 973.885.4791 or visit Benjaminfloors.com. Let's dive into the secrets of preserving your hardwood floors.
1. Daily Cleaning Routine Sweep, Vacuum, or Dust Mop: Regularly remove dust and dirt by sweeping,
vacuuming with a soft brush attachment, or using a dust mop. This prevents
abrasive particles from scratching the surface.
2. Preventative Measures Use Doormats: Place doormats at entrances to trap dirt and moisture before they
reach your hardwood floors. This reduces the risk of scratches and water damage.
Furniture Pads: Attach felt or rubber pads to the legs of furniture to prevent
scratches and dents when moving or rearranging items.
Area Rugs: Place area rugs in high-traffic areas to protect the floor from wear and
tear. Make sure the rug's backing is breathable to prevent moisture entrapment.
3. Spill Management Wipe Spills Immediately: Hardwood and water don't mix well. Quickly blot up spills
with a clean, dry cloth to prevent water from seeping into the wood and causing
4. Routine Deep Cleaning Choose the Right Cleaner: Use a hardwood-specific cleaner recommended by
your floor's manufacturer. Avoid products with harsh chemicals that can damage
Damp Mopping: Periodically damp mop your hardwood floors using a well-wrung
mop and a hardwood floor cleaner. Never use excess water, as it can seep into
seams and cause warping.
5. Sunlight Protection Use Curtains or Blinds: Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can cause your
hardwood floors to fade. Use curtains or blinds to protect them from UV rays.
Rotate Rugs and Furniture: Regularly move area rugs and furniture to ensure even
exposure to sunlight, preventing uneven fading.
6. Humidity Control Maintain Proper Humidity: Install a humidifier in dry seasons and a dehumidifier in
humid climates to maintain the recommended humidity level (usually between 35%
and 55%) for hardwood floors.
7. Floor Refinishing Professional Refinishing: When your hardwood floors start to show signs of wear,
consider professional refinishing services. This process can restore their original
beauty and protect them for years to come.
8. Avoid Harsh Chemicals Stay Away from Vinegar and Oil Soaps: While popular for cleaning, vinegar and oil-
based soaps can damage your hardwood floors. Stick to manufacturer-
By following these hardwood flooring maintenance hacks, you can ensure that your floors remain a stunning and enduring feature of your home. Remember that regular upkeep not only preserves their beauty but also extends their lifespan.
If you ever need professional hardwood floor services, don't hesitate to reach out to Benjamin Floors at 973.885.4791 or visit Benjaminfloors.com. We're here to help you keep your hardwood floors looking their best for years to come!